Are you looking for an effective way to spruce up your dull-looking garage? Applying a quality coating on top of the existing bare concrete can do wonders in terms of protection and longevity.
What Exactly Are Garage Coatings?
You can think of a garage coating as a type of floor paint but much more effective. It’s a resin material that protects the concrete from wear and tear, including water damage.
Unlike regular paint that only sits on top of the surface, garage coatings penetrate deep into the material to bond permanently with the substrate. This creates a strong layer that resists impact, water, and other elements.
Here are some of the most popular types of coating and their advantages:
- Epoxy coatings. Epoxy remains a popular choice because it strikes a good balance between cost and quality. Unfortunately, it takes about a week to fully cure and can turn yellow when exposed to UV rays.
- Acrylic coatings. Acrylic coatings cost the least and dry fast, but the downside is that they don’t last very long and can wear down in as little as one year.
- Polyurea coatings. If you want a solid long-term investment, polyurea might be your best option. It offers superior protection and can last up to 20 years with proper maintenance.
- Polyaspartic coatings. Polyaspartic is a type of fast-setting polyurea that provides excellent UV resistance. If your garage receives regular sunlight exposure, this may be your best choice.
Why Should You Invest in Floor Coating Systems?
Why not just leave your concrete floor as it is and use your budget on other projects? Coating your concrete floor offers many benefits you won’t find anywhere else. Here are just some of them:
Protect Your Concrete from Physical Damage
How much does it cost to repair or replace damaged concrete? In a garage setting, where vehicles and machinery often come in contact with the floor, you can expect a good amount of wear and tear over the years.
With a coating in place, though, your concrete stays protected from hot tires, dropped tools, and any other physical damage that comes its way.
Worry Less About Chemical Spills
Chemical spills are a fact of life in garages, whether they’re from car maintenance, workshop products, or something else. Not only do they cause stains, but they can also eat away at the concrete if not addressed immediately.
A good coating forms an impenetrable barrier that keeps these liquids off the substrate and minimizes the chances of long-term damage. Its water resistance also keeps moisture-related problems at bay.
Spend Less Time and Effort on Cleanup
The hairline cracks and tiny pores in concrete can collect dust and debris, making it challenging to keep the floor clean. With a concrete coating, you have a smooth and non-porous surface that makes it easier to wipe down. The occasional sweep and mop are all you need to keep the floor clean and looking new.
Make Your Garage More Attractive
Whoever said garages have to be plain and boring? A concrete coating can completely transform the look of your space from dull and drab to sleek and stylish. Mix and match different colors, sheens, and patterns to suit your preferred aesthetic.
A floor might seem like an insignificant detail, but you’ll be surprised at how much it can affect the overall vibe of a room.
Reduce the Risk of Slips and Falls
Concrete makes a solid material for garage floors, but it can become quite slippery when wet. A coating helps improve traction, making the area much safer for people and vehicles.
The surface provides a better grip in all weather conditions, which is especially useful in wintertime when ice accumulates on the floor. Lastly, coatings eliminate the cracks and craters in concrete that can cause people to trip and fall.
Properly Installing a Floor Coating System
Installing a floor coating is a big job that only professional contractors can do correctly. The process involves:
- Prepping the concrete. Prep work includes cleaning, repairing cracks and divots, and grinding the floor to help the coating stick better.
- Priming the surface. The primer helps create a secure bond between the surface and coating, ensuring it lasts longer.
- Applying the coating. Contractors usually use rollers to apply the coating in an even layer, but some may spray it on for added precision.
- Finishing up. Once the layer dries, the contractors inspect the entire surface to ensure no flaws or errors. They may also apply a sealant to further protect it from damage.
Most coatings require at least a day to cure, so you’ll have to wait a while before you can use your garage again.
Premium Garage Coatings in Metro Washington
At Skyline Concrete Coating, we believe in offering our clients flooring installations that meet their exact needs. Our techs use only high-quality polyaspartic and polyurea materials from leading suppliers, so you can count on us to deliver lasting performance. We also provide the following:
- 15-year limited lifetime warranties on all products
- Speedy one-day installations
- Reliable customer service
- Free estimates
No matter how big or small, your garage deserves reliable protection. Invest in garage coatings today and reap the benefits for years to come. Contact Skyline Concrete Coating at (571) 831-2144 and book an appointment with one of our friendly representatives!